Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visas
The Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa is a work visa for international students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. It can last from between 18 months and 4 years depending on your situation.
It is a good way to extend your stay in Australia to improve your chances of becoming eligible for a permanent or provisional skilled visa.
There are two eligibility streams for the Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa:
- Post Study Work Stream: commonly referred to as the Post Study Work Visa (PSWV). This eligibility stream was introduced in March 2013 for students applying for their first student visa after 5 November 2011
- The Graduate Work Stream: criteria are similar to the 485 Graduate Skilled visa as it was prior to March 2013
There are a number of criteria which are common to both the PSWV (Post Study Work) stream and the Graduate Work Stream:
- The main applicant must be under 50 at the date of lodgment.
- The main applicant must demonstrate their English language ability, either through holding certain types of passport or by undertaking an English test.Evidence of threshold English must be provided at date of lodgement
- Study in Australia:
- You must meet the 2 year study requirement and have completed qualifications within six months of applying for the visa.
- Points Test:
- The Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa is not points-tested.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
The primary applicant must be in Australia when they make their application for a 485 visa, and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to lodgement.
Including Family Members
You can include the following types of family members in your application:
- Spouses, defacto partners and same-sex partners
- Dependent children
If you already hold a 485 visa, you can apply for family members to join you in Australia on 485 visas.
Duration and Conditions
Duration of the 485 visa will depend on your circumstances.
Gradate Work stream visas are valid for 18 months from the date of grant of the application.
Duration of the PSWV depends on which qualification has been completed in Australia as follows:
- 2 years: completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honours, Masters by Coursework or Masters (Extended)
- 3 years: Masters by Research
- 4 years: Doctorate
Whilst on a 485 visa, you have unrestricted work rights in Australia.
You must maintain private health insurance whilst on a skilled graduate visa. A list of the major providers is at 485 Visa Insurance
We have prepared an FAQ on 485 Temporary Graduate Visas which gives more information on the criteria for this visa.
Acacia has assisted thousands of international students to obtain permanent residence in Australia – please book a consultation with one of our advisors if you would like assistance with your visa application.
You can Make an assessment here about your marks for a skilled visa